Monday, July 13, 2009

kwin memory leak confirmed?

I think it's pretty much confirmed that my problem is indeed due to a memory leak in kwin. I've been running a cron job every minute to gather memory usage information on kwin. The result:



(this is from the RSS field generated by the command "ps v --no-heading -C kwin"* command)

Each instance where the trace maxes out then drops down again is a time when I started getting the problem and restarted kwin. The flat spots are nights and weekends when I'm not using the computer.

Now, what to do about it? I guess I should report a bug. This is Kubuntu 8.04, so it's a little out of date, but it's an LTS release.


*I am amused by having mixed all three styles of command-line arguments in that ps command.

2 comments:

  1. Well, so much for getting that fixed. (see the last two entries in the bug report) Still, it was a learning experience.

    And I learned that Kubuntu 8.04 is not an LTS release like Ubuntu 8.04 is. I think I wouldn't have bothered reporting this bug if I had realized that.

    ReplyDelete