Tuesday, June 9, 2009

licorice

Changing the subject entirely, let me just state for the record how much I love licorice. Not Twizzlers, but real licorice, especially the Dutch variety. At the moment I am particularly fond of the Geldlijn line from Klene.

My current favorite is their "Grof Geld":

It's a little sweet, a little salty, medium-soft-chewy, and bursting with licorice flavor. My friend who lives in the Netherlands brought me some, and I get it in the U.S. from Holland's Best. Klene also makes "Zakkenrollers":


but I've been unable to find them for sale in the U.S.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that I'm also quite fond of these:



I first discovered them at Cardullo's, but I see they can also be ordered by the case from Holland's Best.
I've also been fond of the (German) Haribo Wheels and Gustaf's Traditional Dutch Licorice Drops.

Friends have told me of the bulk licorice stalls at the open-air markets in the Netherlands. I would really love to visit some of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment