Monday, September 7, 2009

culinary reference books

I like to keep a lot of reference books in my house. Perhaps this goes back to the pre-world-wide-web days, but even with the existence of Wikipedia, having a shelf full of answers is still satisfying. The largest sub-category in my reference library is Food & Drink, constituting a separate section of the kitchen bookshelf from the cookbooks.

The New Food Lover's Companion
This is a fantastic book and makes a great gift for the food-inclined. My copy is actually the 2nd edition, entitled just "The Food Lover's Companion". There is so much useful information in here it's hard to even summarize it.

On Food and Cooking
Harold McGee's classic reference on the science and history of all kinds of food and cooking techniques. Want to know why it's helpful to keep pastry dough cold? This is the place to check.

Cheese Primer
Steven Jenkins explains it all.

Windows on the World Complete Wine Course
I always go to Kevin Zraly with my amateurish wine questions. My copy is the original edition from 1985! Time for an update?

Beer?
Somehow I find myself without a reference book on beer, despite its place in my life as my favorite beverage. Can you recommend an addition to my bookshelf to fill this gaping hole?

No comments:

Post a Comment